In December 2022, the UK and Japan have announced a new digital partnership to provide a framework for deeper UK-Japan collaboration across digital infrastructure and technologies, data, digital regulation and digital transformation. This upgrades the UK-Japan Digital Group into a Cabinet-level Ministerial Council and cements engagement between the UK and Japanese governments on a range of digital issues.
The newly launched partnership will develop the unique strengths of both countries and deliver on the UK’s ambition, set out in this year’s Digital Strategy, to increase international collaboration on complex tech issues.
We invite techUK and JEITA members to learn more about government priorities of the UK-Japan Digital Partnership as well as share their inputs into further priorities, initiatives and focus areas to advance UK-Japan cooperation on tech, digital and innovation.
The purpose of the meeting is to inform both UK and Japanese governments about industry priorities in digital tech trade and investment between the UK and Japan to further shape the UK-Japan Digital partnership agenda. We will also discuss the key findings of the whitepaper Strengthening the UK-Japan Strategic Partnership Through Innovation, jointly developed by techUK and JEITA.
- Welcome and Opening remarks: Paul Patterson, Chair of techUK’s UK-Japan Tech Forum, and Fujitsu’s CEO of Europe (10 min)
- techUK&JEITA: Presentation on the UK-Japan whitepaper key recommendations, Jana Psarska, Policy Manager for International Trade (10 min)
- UK government update on the UK-Japan Digital Partnership: Rhys Bowen, Director, International, DCMS (10 min)
- Japanese government update on UK-Japan Digital Partnership priorities (15 min)
- Osamu Onodera, Director-General for International Affairs, Global Strategy Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communication (MIC)
- Mr. Masaya Okaguchi, Deputy Director, International Digital Strategy and International Affairs, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI
- Mr. Toshiyuki ZAMMA, Head of International Strategy, Digital Agency
- Discussion on future UK-Japan partnership on tech, data and innovation (20-25 min)
Proposed topics for discussion include:
- Data free flow with trust; data innovation, regulatory cooperation and G7 engagement
- Telecoms (including 6G and OpenRan) and Semiconductors
- Cyber resilience
- Development and application of AI
- Digital regulation and standards
- AOB (5-10 min)
Please book your place or rsvp to [email protected] to confirm your participation.