UK SPF Cluster 3: Spectrum Sharing
This Cluster 3 session took place on Friday 18 June 2021 under Chatham House rule.
Cluster 3 has taken on the remit within SPF of work on spectrum sharing (this previously sat in Cluster 2). DCMS has asked Cluster 3 to review spectrum sharing in the UK and the extent to which current shared spectrum access is creating the right conditions for new players to provide innovative 5G services.
Three workshops will consider this question, the first of which took place on Friday 18 June 2021 and looked at 5G services / use cases and their spectrum requirements.
Five main questions were posed to delegates - if you have comments please get in touch:
- What use cases are likely to emerge and when?
- What are their spectrum requirements (bands, amount of spectrum)?
- What security of access is needed?
- What flexibility is possible for the demand case?
- Will shared access work and under what conditions?
Slides:Tony Lavender and William Webb's slides Tony Sceales, DCMS
This workshop will be followed to two more (dates TBC):
- the second workshop will look at options for shared spectrum supply, potential barriers to sharing and measures implemented by Ofcom to enable sharing;
- the third will focus on the role of DSA and recommendation around its introduction in the UK.