Driving the future of transport
Transforming transport through tech requires urgent action to address the skills gap
This new report from techUK sets out five recommendations for how government and industry can ensure that the transport sector has the digital and technical skills it needs to thrive.
This work comes in recognition that the opportunities to develop and integrate technology to decarbonise transport, deliver better services and pioneer new mobility, will not be realised unless we ensure people choose a career in the transport sector.
The below recommendations we believe will help drive measurable impact:
- Department for Transport should publish a policy roadmap for addressing issues identified within its transport labour market and skills consultation.
- Reform the Apprenticeship Levy to transform its impact.
- The creation of a Digital Skills & Productivity Tax Credit to drive business investment in training and productivity-enhancing technology.
- Government needs to lead on the creation of a new digital skills for transport taskforce.
- Government should work with industry to create a Transport Digital Champion Advisory Council.
These have been developed in extensive consultation with techUK’s members and stakeholders. They are designed to unite government and the transport industry in developing solutions that reposition the transport industry in the tech employment market, help employers invest in their people, and attract more people to the sector from an earlier age.
This report sets out the rationale behind these recommendations in detail and techUK looks forward to engaging on these widely across the industry and transport ecosystem.