techUK is delighted to be working with the Ministry of Justice and Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) to deliver a 2-part interactive session exploring prison design and future tech innovation.
Note to atteendees - as this is an interactive session, we ask that attendees please come prepared to get involved in the roundtable discussion. Questions will be asked to attendees (these will be shared in advance) and also opportunites for you as the audience to ask questions. This is a great opportunity to get involved and discuss the role of technology in existing and future prison builds.
Please see details for Session One below. For details on Session Two, please click here
It was announced at 2021’s Spending Review that over £4billion worth of capital funding was being committed to making significant progress in delivering 18,00 additional prison places across England and Wales by the mid-2020’s. These 18,000 prison places include the 10,000 places being made available through:
- the construction of four new prisons
- the expansion of a further four prisons
- refurbishment of the existing prison estate and
- the completion of our ongoing prison builds at Glen Parva and HMP Five Wells.
New programmes will also provide additional prison places and contribute to the 18,000. These programmes of work will provide safe, decent, and secure environments to support effective rehabilitation.
The scale of the prison build programme offers an opportunity to embed new technologies at scale. If there are new technologies on the horizon that are likely to be adopted as standard, we want to do what we can now to ensure new prison design is compatible. This will make it easier to integrate new technology as it is developed and will hopefully help future-proof our long-term estates strategy. We want to benefit from the tech industry’s insight into what the future of tech in the UK will look like.
Session one seeks to answer the following questions:
- What have we learnt and what next? What is working well? What best practice can we share? What are existing those case studies?
- Why it is important to fix the basics?
- What have we learnt from the response to the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How can we ensure the right foundations are in place?
- What is MoJ/ HMPPS’s ask of the tech industry?
- What needs to be avoided in the design and build of new prisons as to not inhibit future digital progress?
- How can we ensure future design is compatible for future innovation?
- What are the barriers? What needs to change?
Full agenda including speakers will be confirmed shortly.