Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka program
About the Program
Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka is an equity-free opportunity for high-growth mature startups to accelerate their market entry into the world’s 3rd largest economy, with a focus on business development and running pilots with some of Japan’s largest corporates.
By focusing on seed-funded companies with validated business models, the program is designed to help founders from around the world scale their business in Japan, by collaborating with billion dollar companies on PoCs across various sectors under the broad theme of “Smart Cities & Living”.
Each program cycle lasts 3 months and will be limited to 10 companies so we can provide extremely tailored support. For our 2021 program, we are still evaluating the potential of running a semi-remote program, however, teams will not need to relocate to Osaka for the entire program. In addition to leveraging a targeted group of mentors and investors, founders will work closely with a group of amazing partners who support the Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka program. These key industry players will provide executive level access to their extensive network and explore partnership opportunities with each company joining the program.
Meet the Partners
- Hankyu Corporation is a Japanese railway operator and is one of the core companies of the Hankyu Hanshin Holdings Group. The HHH Group conducts business in the seven core segments of urban transportation, real estate, entertainment, information and communication technology, travel, international transportation and hotels. They are striving to drive innovation to improve people’s lifestyles by providing “safety and comfort” and “dreams and excitement”.
- Dentsu is in the top 5 largest advertising networks globally. Their influences ranges across many different business spheres and holds large potential. They are looking to explore foodtech, adtech and sportstech within Osaka/Kansai and hope to bring about innovative ideas for the future development business in Osaka/Kansai.
- JR West INNOVATIONS is the CVC arm of JR West Group, which operates a railway business based in western Japan, including Osaka and Kyoto, and serves approximately 5 million passengers a day. In addition to railway business, the group is developing real estate, retail, hotel, travel, and credit card businesses with total assets of approximately US$30B. We would like to support companies that will be able to work together to create value and revitalize local communities by leveraging our management resources including our businesses development with a central focus on railway and stations.
- The Yomiuri Shimbun is a leading Japanese media group issuing the world’s largest circulation daily newspaper. As well as their news and media outlets, The Yomiuri Shimbun also owns a series of different branches in video and web production, sports, travel and entertainment, which are eager to adopt and develop new innovation.
- JT Group is currently engaged in tobacco, pharmaceutical and food businesses, with operations in over 130 countries.
- Sakura Internet is Japan’s largest Web Hosting provider, leading as a data center business with high capacity backbone, a high-speed internetwork and technologically advanced facilities. They are looking to support innovative ideas to help them grow.
- SMBC is one of Japan’s largest financial institutions with an extensive domestic and global footprint. They are hoping to assist innovative ideas and help companies build a network that would support them in the future.
The program concludes with a final capstone event attended by an exclusive list of mentors, investors, and partners. The companies then gain access to the extensive Startupbootcamp Global Alumni network that includes retreats, events, partner services, and continuous support.