SME Online Forum
SME Online Forum is a monthly session for techUK's SME members. Each month, we'll focus on a different topic important to SME members and hear from thought leaders and professional to support your business. The session also provides a opportunity to discuss and network with peers and colleagues.
Standards can have a big impact on small businesses, helping to reduce costs, improve efficiency, become more profitable, and add value for you and your customers, particularly in challenging economic times.
In this session, we’ll be joined by Melanie Worthy, Government Engagement Manager at the British Standards Institute (BSI), and Joy Tan, Senior Standards Manager at the BSI’s Digital Standards Committees. Mealnie who will provide an introduction to BSI and the benefits of accredited standards. She will discuss how to access the catalogue of over 50,000 standards and the benefit they provide to SMEs. In addition, Melanie will touch on some of the following standards and topics of interest to SME members:
- Public Sector Procurement BS 95009 which is looking to build trust and access to the market, which could benefit SMEs.
- Energy Management Standard ISO 50005 2021 – ways to improve energy management and reduce costs. Sponsored by BEIS and free to download
- Collaborative Business Relationship Management ISO 44001 a standard which helps to build and develop effective competitive business relationships based upon a collaborative approach.
- Sustainability Standards Network is keen to engage further with the SME and tech sector too to deliver the UN’s SDGs and the UK’s 2050 target of zero carbon emissions.
- BSI Membership – access, member discounts for SMEs, selected free downloads and pricing points, and affiliate packages
Joy will be introducing the standardisation development process which is a multi-stakeholder convenorship and co-ideation of solutions to industry challenges by setting a common baseline for products, services and processes. She will cover the types benefits of standards bring to businesses and share how you can get involved in influencing and shaping national and international standards.
BSI Group, also known as the British Standards Institution is the national standards body of the United Kingdom. BSI produces technical standards on a wide range of products and services and also supplies certification and standards-related services to businesses.