Diversifying Telecoms Week 2021
Welcome to our Diversifying Telecoms campaign homepage. From 22-26 March 2021, techUK members, stakeholders and industry experts came together to explore topics and themes in telecoms diversification, and the future of the UK's networks. We examined the potential of open and disaggregated networks, key security and resilience challenges, and how to drive demand diversity through enterprise and non-public networks. We also took a look at what's on the horizon—the innovation and emerging tech that may come to shape our communications infrastructure. And finally, Friday's theme posed the question "how to deliver?"
Take a look at all of the guest blogs and insights from members and stakeholders below.
Monday — The potential of open and disaggregated networks
- Telecom Infra Project: Driving diversification through disaggregation by Attilio Zani
- Qualcomm: Open and disaggregated RAN, a platform for innovation by Wassim Chourbaji
- Wind River: Traditions are great for holidays, less so for telecommunications by Paul Miller
- Fujitsu: Disaggregation is the future in the brave new world of networking by Stuart Johnson
- Spirent Communications: Four reasons telecom must walk before it can run to Open RAN and 5G by Steve Douglas
- World Wide Technology (WWT): Collaboration and systems integration - Maximising the potential of open and disaggregated networks by Paul Rhodes
- Aculab: Will IoT architectures make traditional carrier networks obsolete? by Sam Hoppen
- Picocom: A brief history of Open RAN by Peter Claydon
- VMware: Time is ripe for disaggregating telco networks by Nigel Stephenson
Tuesday — Security and resilience considerations for future telecoms
- Virgin Media Business: In a hybrid workplace, security and connectivity are one and the same by Martin McFadyen
- GSMA: Security considerations for open virtualised mobile networks by Martin Beauchamp
- Palo Alto Networks: Demystifying 5G by Carla Baker
- Accenture: Telecoms are critical infrastructure—now their security must match by Oliver Neuberger
- Access Partnership: Overcoming cyber threats in a 5G world by Christopher Martin
- Aculab: Adopt a local cloud philosophy to get the highest security for your data by Andrew Nicholson
Wednesday — Demand diversity: new enterprise networks
- Gigamon: The journey to 5G: A story spanning 5 decades by Matt Percival
- Disruptive Analysis: Telecom diversification must protect "optionality" by Dean Bubley
- Plum Consulting: Open standards for private 5G: key to effective supply, or a security nightmare? by Ian Corden
- Hughes Europe: Demand diversity: the 5G network of networks by Jennifer Manner
- TM Forum: 5G-enabled manufacturing: Ford deploys real-time process analysis and control by Andy Tiller
- Access Partnership: How vehicular communications will revolutionise mobility by Calil Queiroz
Thursday — Emerging tech, innovation and skills: what’s on the horizon?
- Microsoft: The convergence of connectivity and skills is more important than ever by Glen Robinson
- Elastic: Unlocking new opportunities from 5G by Piotr Kobziakowski
- HCL Technologies: Reshaping telecoms' future through emerging technologies by Bhupender Tuteja
- National Physical Laboratory: Measurement’s role in emerging technology, innovation, and the digital infrastructure by Dr Andrew Smith
- Aculab: How Voice Biometrics is positioned for quick uptake in the new Internet of Everything by Sam Hoppen
- Willis Towers Watson: Avoid self-inflicted wounds in global war for TMT talent by Fredrik Motzfeldt
- X-on: How has telecoms evolved to answer changing demands in healthcare? by Paul Bensley
- Atos: Why forward-thinking telcos are cloudifying their networks by Franz Kasparec
Friday — How to deliver: developing domestic capability and attracting new vendors
- Turning rhetoric into action: how policy would build effective sovereign capability by Chi Onwurah MP
- Samsung Networks: Driving diversification and supporting innovation by Barry Walsh
- Lime Microsystems: The UK foundations for a high growth RAN ecosystem by Dr Ebrahim Bushehri
- CSA Catapult: Transforming the telecoms network by Dr Andy G Sellars
- Telecom Infra Project: Enabling the potential of open and disaggregated networks by Marina Traversari
- Digital Catapult: Connect into SONIC with Digital Catapult and Ofcom by Joe Butler
Our future networks: Motivating and maintaining telecoms diversification - the techUK podcast
techUK's podcast episode 25 features an interview with the Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, Chair of the Science and Technology Committee, to discuss the recent publication of the report: 5G market diversification and wider lessons for critical and emerging technologies. The second part of the episode features a roundtable discussion with Attilio Zani – Telecom Infra Project, Peter Claydon - Picocom, and Helen Duncan.
Listen to the full episode for more insight on how the telecoms sector can further foster a cohesive ecosystem, filled with innovation, opportunity and setting the right path in motivating and maintaining telecoms diversification.
techUK's Communications Infrastructure Programme brings together government, the regulator, telecom companies and its stakeholders around four themes; shared infrastructure, security and resilience, unlicensed spectrum and our 5G ecosystem. We do so to lower the cost to the sector of deployment, ensure confidence in networks, spur innovation and unlock value for all parties in 5G. This is delivered through a mix of thought leadership, multilateral engagement and ecosystem building.