Registration from 9.00am
Why should you choose the understanding and engaging with government course?
This course will help give you a good understanding of how central government is structured and operated, and the culture in Whitehall, so that you can have confidence when interacting with government. We will look at successful ways to communicate with government, and methods that don’t work so well.
You will improve your knowledge of Whitehall which will enable you to build better relationships with civil servants and public servants, and improve your understanding of current public sector clients. We will look at the pressures that civil servants are under, what they have to consider when making decisions and what it’s like working in the corridors of power. We will also look at the role of social media in communicating with government.
This course is not specific to how tech companies interact with government, because the advice is relevant to all industries. It provides an overview of Government, Parliament and the various ways you can influence across Westminster.
The course is very interactive and there will be time to deal with specific situations that you would like to explore from your own experience. You will hear stories of things that went well (and badly!). For those who want to, there will be a chance to learn from role playing scenarios.
Who should attend the course?
Anyone who currently works with Whitehall, or would like to work with Whitehall or simply wants to know more about the culture of Whitehall and how to get the best out of relationships with public sector stakeholders.
What is the course outcome?
You will develop:
- confidence in dealing with Whitehall and central government
- clarity on how to communicate with government
- do’s and don’ts for working with Whitehall
- understanding of the Whitehall and public sector cultures and the political context
- a sense of what it’s like to work with Ministers & confidence in dealing with senior government stakeholders
Who is the course leader?
Jo Clift has over 20 years’ experience at the heart of Whitehall. She spent a number of years in senior communications roles, including Head of Communications for the BSE Inquiry and then Press Secretary to Lord Falconer. She has worked closely with many ministers over the years, including Lord Peter Mandelson and Sir Oliver Letwin. She also worked at Number 10 in the Prime Minister’s press office.
Jo’s other government roles include creating the Coalition Government’s ICT strategy in 2011, developing a new model for corporate shared services across Whitehall, and leading on high level board appointments to public bodies. Jo gained private sector experience as a senior manager at Deloitte Consulting.
Jo now works as a professional trainer, coach and business consultant specialising in communicating with and understanding government. She specializes in training senior executives for select committee appearances. She is a published writer on the civil service and Brexit.
What is the agenda?
Registration and coffee will be from 9.00-9.30am Introduction and course outline from 9.30am
Topics to be covered are:
- How is central government structured
- What is it like being a civil servant & what are the current challenges for Whitehall
- How to get your views heard in Whitehall
- Do’s and don’ts for communicating and working with Whitehall
- A guide to doing business with Ministers
- How to get the best from your stakeholders in government
- There will be a chance to focus on real life examples
What is the cost?
techUK member- £395 & VAT
Non techUK member- £595 & VAT