Carl is a Partner and Head of Trade Marks.
He is dual qualified, being both a Solicitor and a Registered Trade Mark Attorney.
Carl has over 17 years' experience of advising clients on intellectual property and commercial matters, having previously worked in the City for leading IP firm Taylor Wessing. He specialises in advising clients on all aspects of intellectual property law, including copyright, design, database, patent and trade mark law and the law relating to passing off and confidential information. He deals with both contentious and non-contentious matters. He also advises on and has significant experience of drafting, negotiating and resolving disputes concerning a wide range of commercial contracts.
Carl lectures on trade mark law to law undergraduates at the University of Exeter, as part of their degree course.
Carl is recognised in The Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession as a Band 1 rated Intellectual Property Lawyer.
- Overall responsibility for managing the worldwide trade mark portfolios of all clients of the firm. Includes clearing, filing, prosecuting, licensing, assigning, renewing, defending and enforcing hundreds of trade marks across the globe. Enforcement work includes conducting opposition, revocation and invalidity proceedings before the UK Trade Marks Registry, the Appointed Person, the Community Trade Mark Office, OHIM Boards of Appeal and conducting and defending registered trade mark infringement and passing off proceedings before the English Courts.
- Successfully acting for one of world's leading generic pharmaceutical companies in respect of High Court proceedings concerning a contractual dispute relating to a pharmaceutical licensing and supply agreement.
- Representing a leading manufacturer of gas turbine generator sets in connection with the renegotiation and amendment of its framework agreement with a major gas turbine supplier.
- Acting for a technology based PLC in relation to advising on and negotiating various contractual arrangements with its key suppliers, distributors and co-partners.
- Acting for the Estate of a leading children's author in connection with the exploitation of various copyright works and other IP rights.