Energy Systems Catapult's (ESC) role is to support UK businesses and innovators to accelerate new products, services and business models to market across the energy sector. They remain committed to helping SMEs accelerate their innovations. Never has that been more important than now. To that end they’re offering a free virtual 'Meet the Experts’ session for their Living Lab, to help innovators striving to:
- Provide high quality low carbon energy solutions
- Design digital products and services for homes
- Establish the value of behind-the-meter flexibility
- Create new cross-vector business models in the home
- Unlock new potential market opportunities
The virtual Meet the Experts sessions are designed to help your business be as ready as possible to deliver your aspirations when our world gets back to normal.
Below is more information on the Living Lab. To connect with the Energy Catapult for free session, please get in touch with Mark Brown, Living Lab Commercial Expert, at email@example.com
Living Lab - a national lab for home energy innovation
- The Living Lab is a test and demonstration environment of 100 connected homes, providing a safe, affordable, shared space for businesses to rapidly design, market-test and launch innovations in low-carbon heating, smart transport, and flexibility services with real consumers.
- We have recently made significant improvements and upgrades to the Living Lab, and are now operating an open, truly interoperable and scalable digital integration platform to trial innovative new products, services and business models, including integration with mainstream smart heating controls, smart meters, IoT devices, and EV smart chargers.
- Living Lab Portal - new UX interface allowing new lab participants to enrol and choose innovation through a digital marketplace.
- Enhanced data management, customer service and API access
How does the Living Lab help innovators?
Trial a product
If you are developing or selling products (eg. heating devices, smart chargers, flexibility platforms) and want to test a new product with real consumers, or validate an existing product to engage investors or qualify for support.
You will learn:
- What consumers like about your product and how much they are willing to pay,
- Insights into how consumers use your product and how it performs in a real-world home environment (eg. how does it impact the home environment, consumer behaviour or energy bills, is it cheaper/better with your product than before).
Trial a service
The Living Lab allows innovators to learn how to sell energy as a service with real consumers.
Industry has been talking about energy as a service for years, but few companies have developed a market proposition – the Living Lab changes that. And uniquely, you can market-test smart energy services through our digital, online marketplace.
You will learn:
- Who buys your service offering and why (and who doesn’t and why not) including consumer demographics,
- How much consumers are willing to pay for your service and how they use it, and
- What it costs you to serve them.
Trial a business model
The Living Lab allows innovators to learn how a new business model works in practice without interrupting your business-as-usual work. Explore whether an alternative value proposition actually has the appeal you imagined with real consumers. We can help you validate the feasibility, desirability and viability of your business models or indeed help you create and test new ones.
You will learn:
- Learn whether consumer behaviour with your products or service matches the value proposition of your business model e.g. understand how low carbon vehicle uptake allows the creation of new business models and let us help you unlock the potential for better integration with the energy supply system providing valuable flexibility opportunities.
Unlock potential new market opportunities
The Living Lab also provides business with an opportunity to demonstrate how their product / service / data can enhance another innovators value proposition. Businesses can integrate their products or services into the Living Lab digital platform making specific data available to other innovators who in turn may want to use your product/service/data to run their own trials. ESC are building a coalition of innovators who may be seeking to run a trial with a product or service like yours that combined could potentially make its way into the commercial world.
To connect with the Energy Systems Catapult, please contact Marc Brown, Living Lab Commercial Expert, at firstname.lastname@example.org