techUK has published its 2019 manifesto, Towards a Better Future, setting out the vision for how the next government should use technology to achieve a better future.
The tech sector is the UK’s great modern success story, growing twice as fast as the rest of the economy and securing the UK’s position among the world’s top tier tech economies.
Our manifesto argues that the smart use of digital technologies across the UK, is not only key to economic success but will be key to meeting the biggest challenges that the country faces in the years ahead, such as the climate emergency and securing the success of the UK tech sector in the next decade.
The manifesto calls on government to put technology to work to make things better for people, society, the economy and the planet.
To do this, techUK is calling on the next government to meet five core objectives:
- Building the smarter state to transform public services.
- Drive innovation and investment in the digital economy.
- Ensure a safe and secure online world.
- Expand skills, talent and opportunities for the future.
- Put the UK at the heart of the global digital economy.
The techUK manifesto sets out 25 recommendations to achieve these objectives, including:
- Appointing a ministerial champion for digital transformation in each government department,
- tackling the climate emergency through a net zero tech taskforce,
- introducing a digital media and literacy curriculum for all primary and secondary school children,
- creating a skills brokerage platform to help people interested in entering the digital workforce access the training opportunities they need,
- and for the new government to establish the UK as a major campaigning nation for free and open digital trade.
Commenting on the launch of the manifesto Julian David, CEO of techUK said:
“To move forward towards a better future, we need to be both optimistic about the opportunities ahead and realistic about the challenges we face.
“The UK must build on its success not only to be the best place to start, grow and scale a tech business, but also to lead the world in using digital technology for good - to make things better for people, society, the economy and our planet.
“This manifesto sets out how the next government can make this happen. Together, let’s work towards a better future.”
You can download the full manifesto here.
A print friendly version can be downloaded here.