The Rail Sector Deal, dubbed a "key milestone" in the Government's Industrial Strategy, has today been announced.
The Sector Deal will help the rail industry and government work together more effectively, reduce the cost of infrastructure, encourage greater use of digital technologies and contribute to the ambition of doubling the UK's rail industry exports by 2025.
The focus of the Rail Sector Deal's key goals are:
- Significantly reduce digital signalling costs by 2025
- Double rail exports by 2025
- Help government work better with industry and strengthen its relationship with the supply chain to boost confidence in the pipeline of work
- Support apprenticeships and increase awareness amongst children of the opportunities in the field
- Establish a data-sharing platform to support innovation
"Delivering the benefits of new digital rail technology is at the heart of this Rail Sector Deal. The UK is at the forefront of many aspects of applying digital technology to rail, and continued investment will help the UK become a world leader in rail technology, boosting exports and skills."
- Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP, Rt Hon Greg Clark MP & Gordon Wakeford
This is an exciting achievement for involved members of the Rail Industry which has united to "enable the industry to harness new digital technologies to improve the experience of passengers and create well-paid, highly-skilled jobs".
If you would like to know more about how techUK has been involved with the Rail Sector Deal, please contact Jessica Russell.