The programme represents technology companies to the utility (energy, water and heat) sector, supporting innovation in both infrastructure delivery and retail market services.
Smart Energy refers to the application of information communication technology and other innovative solutions across the end-to-end energy system.
The Smart Energy and Utilities programme aims at delivering a strong platform of technological solutions in support of delivering flexibility services to the market and the development of Demand Side Response (DSR) markets, which will provide a competitive ecosystem for economic growth. All in an effort to bring the innovation benefits to the consumers and funders with a focus on decarbonisation, affordability, accessibility and reliability.
The programme will accelerate UK’s expertise and leadership in delivering a strong programme of activities for the energy, water and heat sectors including championing emerging tech and AI.
techUK will work to:
- Support the transition to a net zero economy
- Champion a coherent data strategy across all infrastructure sectors
- Work together with industry to identify and adopt a cyber secure system
- Provide competency on the importance of communication infrastructure such as 5G and Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN)
- Accelerate the deployment of low carbon technologies such as renewables and battery storage
- Accelerate the transition to a more decentralised, dynamic, and digitised energy system
- Accelerate the deployment for Electric Vehicles and Energy Capacity
- Develop industry standards for intelligent systems and smart appliances
- Work towards improving energy efficiency
- Provide technological solutions for water monitoring, capacity, resilience, and innovation
- Aid the transition to a digital economy
- Work together with Communities and Local Government
- Support SMEs
We will deliver those actions by acting as a strategic adviser to Central and Local Government, providing briefings to members and participating in industry forums and task groups. We will work with industry to identify gaps in the market to provide opportunities for economic growth.
Energy & Utilities Board
CGI, Rich Hampshire (Chair)
Centrica, Tabish Khan (Vice-Chair)
Gemserv, Matthew Knight
IBM, Irwin Frank-Schulz
Vodafone, Liam Beard
Octopus Energy, Clementine Cowton
ElektraLink, Dan Hopkinson
Elexon, Alina Bakhareva
Microsoft, Rik Irons-Mclean
Telespazio VEGA UK, Andrew Iwanoczko
Wipro Ltd., Vikesh Sachdeva
Capgemini, Carl Haigney
Members of the Board are nominated representatives of the entire Smart Energy & Utilities Work Programme.
For more information, please contact: