At a glance: A group to help members improve marketing and sales effectiveness by exploring new methods and technologies, and exchanging ideas. This group is open to all marketing and sales professionals, and executives with business development responsibility.
Chair: Neville Merritt
Neville has over 30 years' experience in IT solutions businesses to Board level, covering sales, marketing, operations and implementation for manufacturing, distribution, service and public sector markets. Neville has practical experience of the full sales cycle and as sales director has developed and led successful sales teams. As marketing director, he has made extensive use of the technologies and tools available to build brands, generate leads and maintain customer satisfaction. Neville's particular interest is around effective communication in the sales cycle, through marketing, presentations, proposals and negotiation. He is currently director of Pure Potential, a boutique consultancy for leadership development in the technology sector and programme manager for marketing and sales courses delivered through Ascent Learning.
Vice Chair: Sarah Hinchliffe
Sarah brings 30 years' experience of sales, business development, bidding and marketing to the Marketing and Sales Group. She has worked on both public and private sector, with big companies (Fujitsu and Ernst and Young) and SMEs (Computer Task Group, Tangent and Nexor). Sarah has excellent formal training in leading sales and bid methods and processes.
Sarah runs her own business, i4, providing sales and bid consultancy. A Fellow of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management (ISMM) and a member of the Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP), Sarah uses these routes to maintain her knowledge of latest thinking and best practice.
Jack started his career with Accenture, working on technical projects for clients including Centrica (British Gas), BT and BOC Edwards. Having identified a niche in the public sector, he started his own consultancy company working with local government and NHS organisations, before selling his stake to join 4D Data Centres in 2007.
Since then Jack has helped 4D grow into an award-winning company, with multiple data centres throughout the South East. In addition to colocation, 4D now also provides connectivity, cloud and cyber solutions. Jack is a member of the TechUK Data Centre Council, representing small and medium-sized data centres in the UK. He also sits on the executive boards for Gatwick Diamond Business and Gatwick’s Manor Royal Business Improvement District (BID).
A marketing and business development specialist, with a strong emphasis on strategy, Iain has over 30 years of international experience across vertical and horizontal markets with a focus on B2B and channel marketing.
He has held senior (Director level) marketing and business development positions at Unipart Group, Applied Chemicals, TBA Textiles, Oxford Retail Consultants, and currently as proprietor of AKIS Solutions – a SME focussed management consultancy.
One of Iain’s main clients is MSC R&D Ltd – a leading provider of R&D Tax Relief and Innovation Funding solutions to tech businesses and long-standing member of techUK.
Emily is an experienced marketing professional with over 10 years spent in B2B technology and business consulting.
Emily started out working at tech giants including CSC and HP, with roles spanning Portfolio and Go-To-Market Management and a focus on driving growth in business technology solutions across global regions. She then joined Automation Logic in 2017 - a leading and fast-growing UK professional services consultancy specialising in Cloud, Automation and DevOps.
Emily is now part of the Strategic Leadership Team heading up the Marketing function and with responsibility for technology partnerships.
The Divide between Marketing and Sales
Social Selling and LinkedIn
Who are we?
The Marketing and Sales Group is a members' forum designed to nurture and promote capability in the marketing and sales disciplines within the techUK community. Our Group is of relevance to all technology companies from SME to major corporates and we encourage cross fertilisation of ideas, aspirations and experience between all companies. In achieving our objectives, we aim to add value to techUK membership and to support membership growth.
How can this group help you?
The Marketing and Sales Group can help you increase sales, build customer loyalty and enhance brand awareness. These benefits are enabled by providing ideas and guidance on marketing and sales matters including:
- improved effectiveness from joining up marketing and sales
- greater efficiency through summarising and presenting best practice and latest thinking in marketing and sales
- reduced risk by avoiding pitfalls through shared experience in implementing marketing and sales approaches
The Marketing and Sales Group's objectives are to:
- promote the benefits of a co-operative and co-ordinated relationship between marketing and sales
- facilitate an environment for personal development through peer networking
- enable members to improve business performance through the application of best practice
- share and demonstrate best practice in marketing and sales
We achieve our objectives through the following activities:
- organising and running regular seminars and workshops on topical subjects
- ensuring that every session: includes both the theory and its practical application through the presentation of case studies and/or the use of exercises free time for networking
- monitoring best practice in marketing and sales and identifying topics of interest and experts in the field
- maintaining contact with members to gain feedback on activities and topics of interest
- monitoring the activities of other techUK groups and, where relevant, co-ordinating joint activities
- ensuring group visibility at techUK Board level