techUK is very pleased to announce a free, cross-sector one-day event on the responsible sourcing of minerals at techUK’s London offices on 29 April.
This one-day conference will explore how businesses are responding to the challenges presented by due diligence and the expectations of civil society and government. It will highlight real world solutions and actions and explore what a robust response to this issue looks like.
We will be covering:
- The latest legislative developments
- Risks across minerals supply chains – what we have learned so far
- The latest from the European Partnership for Responsible Minerals
- Due diligence – views from downstream users
The full draft agenda is below and we will be confirming speakers in the coming weeks but if you are interested in attending please RSVP via the portal, or alternatively contact Susanne Baker, E: susanne.baker@techUK.org
10:00 – 10:05 Welcome
- Julian Lageard, Intel and chair of techUK’s Sustainable Supply Chain Group
- Susanne Baker, Head of Environment and Compliance, techUK
10:05-10:15 Introductory Speech
- Antony Walker, Deputy CEO, techUK
10:15-10:45 Presentation: Why responsible mineral sourcing matters
The sector’s interest in mineral sourcing, historical developments, and the key challenges that remain to be solved.
- Jonathan Ivelaw-Chapman, COO, Responsible Business Alliance
10:45 – 11:30 Presentation: The view from regulators
Insights from the latest OECD Forum, latest developments and an overview of how UK regulators are preparing for the recent European Conflcit Minerals Regulation.
- Rashad Abelson, Legal Expert, Extractives, Responsible Business Conduct Unit, OECD
- Simon Trevenna, UK Group Manager, Conflict Minerals, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
11:30-11:45 Networking break
11:45-12:30 Panel: Risks across the mineral supply chains – what we have learned so far?
Identifying risks in different mines and regions, and the role of partnerships and collaboration.
- Sakhila Mirza, General Counsel, London Bullion Market Association
- Andrew Cooper, Manager – Standards, Responsible Jewellery Council
- Angela Jorns, Specialist, Responsible Mining & Development, Levin Sources
12:30-13:00 Presentation: The European Partnership for Responsible Minerals
Presentation outlining projects that are underway and emerging findings
- Annie McGee, Responsible Business Unit, FCO
14:00-15:00 Panel: Approaching due diligence – views from downstream users
How have companies approached due diligence, what approaches have proven to be most effective, what are the challenges that remain and what internal changes help to smooth the process.
- Adam Schäfer, Director of Supply Chain Sustainability, Intel
- Andrew Clifton, Sustainability Manager – Engineering and Design, Rolls Royce
- Martin Baxter, Executive Director, IEMA
15:00 – 15:15 Networking break
15:15– 15:45 Presentation: Future mineral risks
3TG has been the key focus of activity but what is the status of cobalt? How should downstream user’s response to this emerging risk? And how can the experience and learnings from 3TG help to support activity here?
- Alice Valvodova, Head of Advisory, Knowledge and Training, RCS-Global
15:45 – 16:00 Close and next steps
16:00 – 17:00 Networking drinks