The Broadband Stakeholder Group’s diverse network includes telecoms operators, manufacturers, investors, ISPs, mobile network operators, broadcasters, new media companies and content producers, as well as central and local government, devolved administrations, Ofcom and others.
The Broadband Stakeholder Group (BSG) works out of the offices of techUK, the trade association facing the tech sector. techUK supports the work of the Broadband Stakeholder Group and is the employer of Broadband Stakeholder Group staff.
The current areas of focus for the BSG include how to incentivise the deployment of and demand for full fibre and 5G networks, the migration to All-IP for voice services, digital inclusion and skills for both citizens and SMEs, the future regulatory framework, and the impact of Brexit on the digital infrastructure sector.
The Programme Manager role involves independently leading areas of the BSG work programme and becoming the go-to industry expert on such issues. The ideal candidate will have an excellent understanding of policy development, public affairs, stakeholder management and regulatory affairs. Knowledge and experience of broadband and the wider technology, media and telecommunications brief, whilst not essential, is highly desirable.
- Assist the CEO in delivering the BSG work programme; this will involve preparing and writing BSG reports, consultation responses, articles and letters on telecoms policy.
- Engage with BSG stakeholders, including DCMS, Ofcom, sponsors and the wider industry on the development of policy positions and the ongoing development of the BSG work programme
- Monitor ongoing developments in the UK and EU broadband market, policy and regulatory debate, including the analysis of new data regarding broadband network deployment
- Assist with the execution of the BSG contact programme including arranging and scheduling meetings and events, supporting press relations and public affairs activity, web and social media communications and organising dinners and conferences
- Represent the BSG in external forums, stakeholder meetings and public events
- Able to work with a large and diverse selection of external stakeholders
- Able to analyse complex issues and work across the full range of telecoms policy issues
- Able to communicate complex information clearly and effectively to a broad audience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- An enthusiastic team player who is keen and able to take the initiative
- Excellent organisational skills
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- An understanding of the UK and European political systems and policy formulation processes
- Experience of building networks through personal relationships
- Experience of managing or supporting multiple projects
- Experience of working with the media
- Ability to use the tools and technologies techUK provides; including but not limited to Microsoft Office 365 suite, mobile and home working software as appropriate, and web tools (training will be provided).
This job description is a guide to the work you may be required to undertake but does not form part of your contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.
To apply for this role, please send a short cover letter (max. 500 words) and a copy of your CV together with your salary expectations to: