techUK is looking for a dynamic and committed policy professional to join our Policy Team. Whatever the outcome of Brexit, the EU will continue to play an important role in the regulatory landscape facing UK tech firms. The Policy Manager will work on a diverse range of issues, from copyright legislation to data protection, and help ensure that the views of techUK and its members are heard in Whitehall, Brussels and across European Capitals.
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the future engagement of the UK tech sector in the EU during the Brexit negotiations and beyond, working with some of the most innovative and leading tech companies in the UK. We are looking for a self-motivated and energetic individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with competing demands. The role would suit a confident communicator with a sharp eye for detail, looking to take their next steps in policy, advocacy and stakeholder engagement.
The role is based in the UK but with regular travel to Brussels and elsewhere in Europe.
- Assist the Head of Policy in identifying and responding to policy issues in the European Union that impact on the tech sector.
- Act as a lead contact point with techUK sister organisations in the EU, including supporting techUK’s CEO in his role as Vice-President of DIGITALEUROPE
- Develop a strong network of MEPs, EU Officials and other stakeholders in Brussels and across Europe.
- Researching policy issues and drafting papers and consultation responses for government, Parliamentary committees and others.
- Speak on panels, and when necessary to the media, on behalf of techUK about issues affecting the UK tech sector.
- Support the delivery of an effective work programme, including but not limited to: successfully leading, managing and delivering internal and external events; the smooth running of meetings; and managing and implementing stakeholder engagement activities; acting as point of contact for techUK members.
- Ensuring effective use of web and social media to communicate techUK’s positions and point of view.
- Supporting techUK’s public affairs work in Parliament and engagement across Whitehall.
- Supporting techUK’s public affairs engagement in Brussels and across the EU member states.
- Assist in identifying prospective members of techUK and growing techUK’s membership.
- Working with Head of Policy to manage and implement an effective contact programme, ensuring the in house CRM is used effectively.
- Any other duties as required by the Head of Policy and techUK's senior management.
- Highly motivated individual with a positive, can do attitude who enjoys taking ownership of new areas.
- A team player who is comfortable and able to work with relevant teams (membership, marketing and business services) across techUK.
- Strong interest in current affairs and our mission to make the UK good for tech, make tech good for the UK and make tech good for people.
- A strong understanding of the functions of the European Union and of EU regulatory issues affecting the tech sector.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with competing demands
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and to communicate this effectively to a range of audiences (e.g. writing consultation responses, blogs, newsletters, letters and minute taking).
- Willingness to learn new areas and good eye for detail and strong political antennae.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- A good understanding of EU policy and political landscape, particularly from a business perspective.
- A good understanding of the UK political process and policy issues.
- Proven experience in public policy, public affairs, media relations and/or stakeholder engagement with a track record of successfully delivering outputs that meet project objectives.
- Good grasp of the workings of Whitehall.
- Proven track record and experience of managing complex relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Significant experience of coordinating events, ensuring accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience of working with senior figures.
- Good understanding of the role of trade bodies.
- Highly competent with Microsoft and MS Office Suite.
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working in a dynamic and external facing role.
- Some media experience.
This is a full-time role based in techUK’s London office.
This role profile is a guide to the work that is required but does not form part of any contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are only able to contact successful applicants. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks please deem your application as unsuccessful on this occasion.
To apply, please send through your CV together with a cover letter (max 500 words) to: