techUK represents the companies and technologies that are defining today the world that we will live in tomorrow. Over 900 companies are members of techUK. Collectively they employ more than 700,000 people, about half of all tech sector jobs in the UK. These companies range from leading FTSE 100 companies to new innovative start-ups. The majority of our members are small and medium sized businesses.
techUK is committed to helping its members grow, by:
• Developing markets;
• Developing relationships and networks;
• Reducing business costs;
• Reducing business risks.
techUK's SmarterUK Programme works to ensure, on behalf of our members, that industry, Government, international and regulatory challenges are addressed effectively and coherently and that all stakeholders work together effectively in the common interest.
This role reports to the Head of the SmarterUK Programme. SmarterUK is our smart infrastructure programme and its purpose is to connect parts of the UK economy on the cusp of the 'smart' revolution. In doing so, we hope to drive the uptake of solutions that will deliver a sustainable, low carbon transition that provides value to UK Plc and its citizens.
The role has responsibility for the smart city and transport work streams within SmarterUK’s work and lead our cross-cutting smart infrastructure work.
The person appointed will show capability and potential to build on a strong foundation of a solid programme, strong member engagement, and good external reputation and stakeholder relationships. He/she will need to have, or a propensity to develop quickly, a good understanding of the opportunities and challenges in the use of tech in smart cities and transport sectors, and where members can work collectively to understand and enhance those opportunities.
This role requires someone who has the communication skills, confidence and drive to grow their own profile and that of techUK.
- Support the development, implementation and communication of techUK’s Smart Transport and Cities programme in a way that meets the needs of existing and potential members;
- Support the inception, set-up and execution of programme events and meetings;
- Identify and exploit cross-fertilisation opportunities with other programmes within techUK;
- Promote the programme through insights, opinions, social media and PR activities;
- Draft reports, papers, articles and meeting notes as requested;
- Support relevant techUK working groups and maintain liaison with group members;
- Assist in maintaining all relevant parts of the techUK website to a high standard;
- Maintain all relevant records on techUK’s CRM system;
- Liaise with other techUK teams to assist in a successful programme of press coverage, events, internal and external marketing and to ensure they are kept fully informed of major policy initiatives;
- Deputise for Head of Programme in their absence;
- Any other duties that might from time to time be required.
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and to communicate this effectively to a range of audiences.
- A team player who has experience of managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and is comfortable working with senior individuals in Industry and within government
- A self-motivated individual with positive can-do approach who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with competing demands, and responding to tight deadlines.
- Capability to use the tools and technologies techUK provides, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, CRM, Social Media, Web tools and home working software.
Knowledge and Experience
- Strong interest in technology, innovation and the tech industry.
- Strong interest in transport, mobility services and smart cities, with a keen desire to learn.
- Ability to identify, propose and negotiate new opportunities and services for techUK;
- Ability to carry out agreed objectives with a minimum of supervision.
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of the technology industry landscape and the positioning and role of trade bodies.
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
• Knowledge and background of the transport and smart city sector.
• Good high-level knowledge of technology and the fintech industry.
• Comfortable with public speaking.
• Understand the economic, social and political environment, members’ business sectors and business models, stakeholders and their drivers.
This is a full time role based at techUK’s London offices.
The successful applicant must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.
This role profile is a guide to the work that is required but does not form part of any contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
To apply, please send through your CV together with a short cover letter (max 500 words) to: