techUK is the UK’s leading trade association for technology companies, helping to shape the society in which we will live in coming decades. Technology is changing all aspects of our lives: techUK provides a unified voice for the companies driving these changes vis-à-vis stakeholders, Governments and regulators on the domestic and international stage.
We are looking for a dynamic and committed individual who is keen to play a role in the deep changes technologies are bringing to the way financial services operate in the UK. The opening up of markets to new players; the increasing use of personal data; the rise of digital banks and fintechs are bringing new services and new possibilities for individuals and companies in managing their financial lives. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of this sector and to see first-hand the new services technologies will bring.
techUK is a dynamic team, working in a friendly and creative environment, with our core values at heart: pride in our industry; generosity in sharing knowledge; integrity in our approach; courage in embracing change and respect for each other and our work.
The role entails representing techUK members on the policy, regulatory and market development aspects of the financial services sector brought about by innovative technologies. It reports to the Head of the Financial Services & Payments Programme and its purpose is to support the coordination and administration of the various working groups within the programme: Open Banking & Payments, Digital Identity and Distributed Ledger Technologies. In addition, the role includes work on regtech, insurtech, financial services standardisation, IoT and payments, evolution of payment infrastructures and additional topics as they become relevant.
The person appointed will have strong organisational capabilities and the capacity to build relationships with members, stakeholders and the wider financial and technology ecosystems. He/she will need to have, or a propensity to develop quickly, a good understanding of the opportunities and challenges new technologies are bringing to the financial services sector, and to recognise where members can work collectively to enhance those opportunities.
- Support the development, implementation and communication of techUK’s Financial Services & Payments programme in a way that meets the needs of existing and potential members.
- Support the organisation, set-up and execution of programme working groups and meetings and maintain liaison with group members.
- Coordinate events, workshops and meetings on specific financial services topics.
- Draft meeting notes, event reports and papers as requested.
- Support members in understanding and accessing opportunities provided by developments in the financial services sector.
- Promote the programme though website posts, opinion pieces, social media and PR activities.
- Assist in maintaining all relevant parts of the techUK website to a high standard.
- Identify and exploit cross-fertilisation opportunities with other programmes within techUK.
- Liaise with other techUK teams to assist in a successful programme of press coverage, events, internal and external marketing and to ensure they are kept fully informed of major policy initiatives.
- Deputise for Head of Programme in their absence.
- Any other duties that might from time to time be required.
- A self-motivated individual with a positive can-do approach who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with competing demands, and responding to tight deadlines.
- Highly developed organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and to communicate this effectively to a range of audiences.
- A team player who is comfortable working with senior individuals in Industry and within government.
- Ability to identify and propose new opportunities and services for techUK.
- Ability to carry out agreed objectives with a minimum of supervision.
- Capability to use the tools and technologies techUK provides, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, CRM, Social Media, Web tools and home working software.
- Comfortable with public speaking.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Strong interest in technology, innovation and the tech industry.
- A knowledge of or strong interest in financial services and payments and keen desire to learn.
- Experience of managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of the technology industry landscape and the positioning and role of trade bodies.
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge of/background in economics, financial services or law.
- Good high-level knowledge of technology and the fintech industry.
- Understanding of the economic, social and political environment, members’ business sectors and business models, stakeholders and their drivers.
This is a full-time role based in techUK’s London office.
This role profile is a guide to the work that is required but does not form part of any contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are only able to contact successful applicants. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks please deem your application as unsuccessful on this occasion.
To apply, please send through your CV together with a cover letter (max 500 words) to: