Developing strategy and policy development skills to improve the ability of specialists and emerging leaders to tackle more complex business, policy, investment and other strategic questions – and to present recommendations to senior stakeholders authoratatively and concisely
Why should you choose this course?
This is a relaxed but content-rich course, delivered with a combination of taught sections and delegate case study work in small groups. It broadens delegate’s business awareness and provides practical coaching in consulting-style approaches to tackling complex business decisions and communicating findings to Boards and senior management concisely and impactfully.
Reasons to choose this course include:
- Building skills to evaluate complex, perhaps initially unbounded, business issues that may include financial, competitive, organisational and policy considerations
- Understanding how to write Board papers, business cases and policy documents that hit the mark; giving senior managers and execs the information they need
- Developing wider ‘executive-level’ business awareness, enabling delegates to better anticipate and empathise with diverse stakeholder requirements
- Developing a wider understanding and ability to influence across finance, marketing, technical and HR/ regulatory/ legal domains
- Increasing skills, competence and confidence for managers taking on leadership of more diverse teams and dealing with more senior management issues
- Helping technical, operations, legal, marketing, finance and other specialists to develop broader business competences and outlook for their career progression
- Helping to develop leaders as part of a wider career development plan.
Who should attend?
This course is recommended for managers and professionals that already have some experience in their own specialisms and now wish to broaden out their strategic business skills and competences. This may be as they prepare for, or take on, more senior roles within their organisations or as they develop their careers in new areas.
The course may especially benefit participants that are seeking to deepen and broaden their analytical skills and executive awareness. The course also includes practical coaching on how to write impactful Board level papers quickly and comprehensively.
What is the course outcome?
The course delivers practical learning in the following areas:
- How to frame complex business questions (e.g. strategy, policy, build-buy, investment, partnering) and control the evaluation process effectively
- How to develop and evaluate options using a range of quantitative and qualitative techniques, and to test conclusions
- How to marshal evidence-based arguments efficiently and communicate them effectively in board level papers
- Enhanced understanding of the ‘Executive Context’ that senior managers and Boards need to take account of, as a contribution to delegates’ executive education – topics include a high-level introduction to: organisational types, their governance and objectives; market and public sector provision and externalities; competition, differentiation, strategy and marketing frameworks; environmental, culture and management style considerations; the impact of digital, IOT and social media.
What is the agenda?
- Introduction (objectives, delegate styles, case themes, teams for exercises)
- Framing and managing strategic evaluations
- Developing and evaluating options for strategy, policy and decision papers
- Executive Context – What factors do senior leaders take into account for strategic decisions and policy questions?
- Writing authoritative, concise and compelling board papers
- Practical exercise: Developing a strategic case and communicating it
- Closing session (day review and key point summary)
Who is the course leader?
Ian Andrews is an independent strategy and business development consultant with 30 years’ combined industry and consulting experience in the telecoms, media and technology sectors, including leadership of strategic projects in more than 20 countries. Ian has a degree in Engineering from Oxford University and an MBA with distinction from Kingston Business School. He consults and trains independently under his ‘1230 Consulting’ brand and with a network of colleagues and best-of-breed consulting and technology firms. His recent work includes developing strategies in the fast-growing IOT (Internet of Things) sector and helping mobile operators to develop strategic partnerships.
What is the cost of the course?
techUK Members- £395.00 + VAT
Non Members- £595.00 +VAT
What others say about the training provider?
I really enjoyed the Executive Strategy & Policy Development course I attended at techUK. Material was very relevant for me, particularly around how you construct the strategy messages to senior teams. I found Ian Andrews to be very knowledgeable on the subject, and he balanced extremely well a relaxed style to the day and healthy debate with ensuring all the course objectives were met. Neil Aries - Managing Director, Critical Software Technologies Ltd