Guest Blog: Why GPs need better digital tools

It’s well documented that in terms of patient outcomes and experience, the NHS and local authorities must become more integrated around delivery of health and social care with GPs as the first port of call.

Yet while the benefits and opportunities of more joined-up services may be clear, some major cultural shifts and a refocusing of attention are needed in key areas. Long-term conditions, for example, account for around 50% of all GP appointments. Freeing up even 10% of that time by joining up and targeting patient services more effectively would make a huge difference. Apart from severe cases, many people with problems such as diabetes or a heart condition may wish to be provided with an alternative other than to attend their GP surgery. Proactive information and reminders can potentially keep all of us healthier – and may even prevent people with long-term or short-term conditions from regularly having to go to the GP or to A&E.

The NHS takes on thousands of new junior doctors every year who tend to be very open to the idea of informing the patient experience via digital tools. There is an evolving culture in the NHS, with clinicians and others entering the workplace as digital natives for whom technology is not a cost-saver or a bolt-on, but an essential and integral fact of everyday life.

Many patients will be open to using technology apps, texts, Skype, email and other messaging tools to manage their own care because that’s what we do in just about every other area of our lives. Giving GPs these same tools will free up their time at surgeries, refocusing that time to spend face to face with, say, the 20% most urgent cases and looking after the other 80% more proactively by making smarter use of digital tools.

As today’s healthcare services face increasing challenges as a result of multiple factors, digital technologies clearly have an important role to play – especially as professionals and patients are now more willing to use a mix of channels.

Atos’ recently launched Digital Vision for Health explores how digital enablers can help clinicians and citizens to make the step change that’s needed in the way the UK looks after health and wellbeing. It covers areas such as Precision Medicine, Genomics, Patient Empowerment, Digital Hospitals, Data Ethics and Machine Learning.

Pooven Maduramuthu, VP Sales & Health, Atos UK&I

Why GPs need better digital tools

FROM SOCIAL MEDIA

AI has wide ranging benefits, but the risks need to be managed effectively. @vik_khurana and Erik Müürsepp from Bri… https://t.co/qBF9gNaahe
Need a primer on AI? Jonathan Hobday from @Cortex_Software gives us AI 101 for techUK AI Week: https://t.co/rwypR7rYjL #AIReady
It is great to see our member @farfetch reinvesting in the #startup community https://t.co/kgxXbEv5kI
Joni Lindes from @PredictXai discusses how AI will power a Fourth Industrial Revolution and what companies need to… https://t.co/up4yTZCSXH
For techUK AI week, @andy_acslawson writes about the necessary digital upskilling that needs to happen for the UK t… https://t.co/IrvRqbqiMB
Join us on 14 May at our Introductory Evening to hear all about techUK https://t.co/Fm70bI6c7P
This initiative is a welcome step. Along with the UK-India Tech Alliance, launched by @techUK and @Nasscom last wee… https://t.co/krZr1Yipuv
Great to see @gov_procurement being used to support #smes! Check out Rob Driver, head of public sector blog on anno… https://t.co/q3xYxDJtPp
How will the legal profession change with the AI revolution? Ben Allgrove from @bakermckenzie discusses potential c… https://t.co/VuLSLupfGs