CALL FOR PAPERS: Army HQ Concepts Team are holding a 3 day symposium entitled 'Unlocking the Urban' with the aim of unlocking the challenges of urban operations for future forces.
Why? - the traditional Western military advantages of range, speed and firepower are largely negated by the complexity of the urban environment.
Army HQ want you to contribute either by presenting and/or coming along. We need you - soldier, academic, industry or self-claimed expert - to provide us a possible key.
What do you get? - an opportunity to influence senior Army decision makers and expose your solutions.
- Date - 19-21 November 2018
- Location - RSA Larkhill, Wiltshire, UK.
- To contribute, email: armycap-ffd-concepts-AW@mod.gov.uk
- Please send your contributions no later than 3 September
The conference is structured using the well-known OODA-loop.
Day 1: Observe - What is the problem?
- Urban operations considered in a historic perspective
- Current urban operations and threats
- Future urban operations and threats
- Is the urban locked and why?
Day 2: Orientate - How can we unlock the urban?
For example by using:
- Training (infrastructure, philosophy, physical, psychological preparation)
- Equipment/technology (RAS, breaching, weapon effects
- Information (ISR, info manoeuvre, deception, pervasive SA)
- Organisation/doctrine. Do we already hold the key but do we need to use it differently?
Day 3: Decide: what are the most promising solutions now and in the future?
- Linking ‘locking factors’ to proposed solutions.
- How can we combine X-DLOD solutions to design, build and/or generate a winning force?
- What can we do today?
- What can we do with minor investment in the funded force?
- What can we do with more time and money available?
The last step - Act - is of course up to our senior leadership.