techUK represents the companies and technologies that are defining today the world that we will live in tomorrow. Over 950 companies are members of techUK. Collectively they employ more than 750,000 people, about half of all tech sector jobs in the UK. These companies range from leading FTSE 100 companies to new innovative start-ups. The majority of our members are small and medium sized businesses.
techUK is committed to helping its members grow, by:
• Developing markets;
• Developing relationships and networks;
• Reducing business costs;
• Reducing business risks.
techUK has strong member representation across a broad range of tech markets and strives to be at the forefront of thinking about the key commercial, policy and regulatory factors shaping the sector. techUK provides technology industry leadership across private and public sector programmes representing organisations across global corporates, SMEs and start-ups.
The Head of Business Development (HBD) is responsible for leading the creation, execution and successful delivery of our new member recruitment targets and will work closely with our programme delivery teams to sell techUK’s programmes and services to prospective members.
Fundamental to the role is the ability to quickly get to grips with complex issues; put them into a wider context and determine how best to sell the techUK value proposition to prospects.
The person appointed will show capability and potential to build on a strong foundation of solid programmes, strong member engagement, and good external reputation and stakeholder relationships.
This role requires someone who has the communication skills, confidence and drive to grow their own profile and that of techUK. This is a hands on role and you will be expected to create, manage and close your own pipeline of sales opportunities as a key part of the role.
The role is target driven, working towards monthly, quarterly and annual fiscal targets. The role has line manager responsibility for a Business Development Executive (BDE). The HBD will be expected to efficiently and effectively allocate tasks and responsibilities between the HBD and BDE to ensure the delivery of the best financial results with the available resource.
This is a full-time role based at techUK’s central London office and reports to the Director - Market Engagement and Membership
• Strategy Development and Plan Implementation: Develop a strategy that allows us to reach potential members, matching our value proposition with their business objectives. Work with marketing in developing campaign and communication plans that engage prospects. Prepare a pitch plan that can be tailored to individual prospects. Utilise our CRM system to manage message delivery, follow ups and timely engagement. Identify shortfalls versus targets and propose solutions to address.
• Collaboration and Sales Leadership: Working with the Directors, Heads of Programmes and Business Services teams identify prospects by programme and build approaches for large, medium and small member prospecting, utilising personalised value proposition development.
• Prospecting: Manage prospecting activities, identifying sales targets in line with private and public sector programmes. Build an activity planner covering identification, approach, contact, meetings, proposals and closure.
• Pipeline management and Reporting: Develop and maintain weekly CRM records that are searchable and usable from a dynamic ongoing prospecting perspective. Produce weekly and monthly sales reports detailing activity progress and monthly, quarterly and fiscal sales achievement forecasts.
• techUK Representation: Attend techUK and industry events, conferences (locally and nationally) to build contacts and networks and promote the techUK value proposition to prospective new members.
• On boarding: Complete accurate new member records on membership contractual paperwork for new joiners. Take responsibility to set up familiarisation meetings to ensure that new members can quickly take advantage of the value of membership. Retain close contact with new members during their first 6 months of membership to ensure high satisfaction ratings, feeding back on any areas that require techUK action/ improvement.
• Development of a defined sales plan/ pipeline and the signing up of new members against pre-set annual targets.
• Development of strong working relationship with programme heads/ teams (leading sales efforts with delivery team participation).
• Delivery against revenue (membership income) targets (monthly/ Quarterly/ Annual targets).
• New membership retention %s into second year of membership.
• Performance management and personal development of the BDE.
• Ability to generate sales leads and a sales pipeline/ funnel.
• Output oriented with a track record of delivery.
• Numerate, comfortable working with and analysing data.
• A strong team player, committed to helping colleagues achieve their goals.
• Ability to work quickly to deadline delivering high quality outputs.
• Strong written and oral communication skills. The individual must have the ability to craft insightful sales pitches and proposals for qualitative and quantitative sales projects.
• Strong personal and professional integrity required to develop and maintain trust and represent the sector.
• Capability to use the tools and technologies techUK provides, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, CRM, Social Media, Web tools and remote access software.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Strong and demonstrable sales execution experience.
- Experience of working in high performance sales environments
- Experience in sales planning, reporting and measurement
- A knowledge of, and interest in, the technology sector
- Experience of managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and comfortable working with senior individuals in Industry and within government.
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of the technology industry landscape and the positioning and role of trade bodies.
This job specification is a guide to the work required but does not form part of any contract of employment and may change from time-to-time to reflect changing circumstances.