techUK, the UK’s leading technology trade association, is looking for an outstanding, dynamic and committed individual to lead its high-level policy engagement on tech policy issues. This is an opportunity to work in an intellectually stimulating, fast-paced and creative environment. This is a high profile opportunity to work at the centre of some of the most important policy and regulatory issues of our age.
Digital technologies have a profound impact on almost every aspect of our lives and the pace and extent of technological innovation continues to accelerate at an exponential rate. This means that techUK has to work across a broad landscape of diverse policy issues from the development of long-term skills and innovation policy to rapid response on breaking news stories.
Over the last three years techUK has built a strong reputation as a leading voice on tech policy issues in the UK and internationally. This is an exciting opportunity to build on that platform and help to shape the policy framework that will not only underpin the tech sector’s growth and success in the years ahead, but will shape the world that we all live in.
Working closely with members and colleagues across the organisation this role will lead the development of techUK’s policy and advocacy programme covering a wide range of tech and innovation policy issues, including but not limited to: industrial strategy, innovation policy, skills and talent, internet policy, automation and the future of work, internet safety and security, digital ethics and the implications of artificial intelligence.
The role will involve direct engagement with stakeholders at the most senior levels across government and the public and private sectors. The role will involve representing techUK in public fora and the media and requires the ability to build a strong public profile. Success will depend upon having excellent political antennae, a talent for relationship building, and an ability to master the detail whilst maintaining a focus on the big picture.
Working as part of a team of experienced policy professionals this role requires the ability to: work concurrently across a diverse range of issues; to quickly assess and understand detailed policy implications; anticipate risks and opportunities for the sector; have a natural feel for the concerns, interests and motivations of political stakeholders; and build and implement effective engagement campaigns that effect change.
The role sits in the techUK policy team and reports directly to the Deputy CEO. The role will work in close cooperation with policy team colleagues focused on Brexit and trade issues.
1. Excellent written and verbal communications skills
2. Excellent commercial and political awareness
3. Excellent policy judgement
4. Good strategic and tactical awareness
5. Strong interpersonal skills
6. Excellent networking skills
7. Ability to maintain grace under pressure
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Highly effective policy professional with a proven track record in technology policy from either the private of public sector
- Passionate about the significance and implications for the UK of digital technology
- A clear interest in politics and policy and a good relevant and current political network
- Ability to build strong relationships with key political stakeholders built on a reputation for competence and knowledge
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working in a dynamic and external facing role
This is a full-time role based at techUK’s London offices.
The succesful candidate must have right to work in the UK prior to commencement of employment.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org