techUK is looking for a dynamic and committed policy professional to join a three-person team focused on UK tech policy issues. (This team works in close cooperation with another team focused on Brexit and trade issues). This is an exciting opportunity to work in an intellectually stimulating, fast-paced and creative environment that addresses some of the most important policy issues of our age.
Digital technologies have a profound impact on almost every aspect of our lives and the pace and extent of technological innovation continues to accelerate at an exponential rate. This means that techUK has to work across a broad landscape of diverse policy issues from the development of long-term skills and innovation policy to rapid response on breaking news stories.
Over the last three years techUK has built a strong reputation as a leading voice on tech policy issues in the UK and internationally. This is an exciting opportunity to build on that platform and help to shape the policy framework that will not only underpin the tech sector’s growth and success in the years ahead, but will shape the world that we all live in.
Working closely with member companies at the forefront of global digital innovation this role
involves policy development and advocacy on issues including but not limited to: industrial strategy, innovation policy, skills and talent, automation and the future of work, internet safety and security, digital ethics and the implications of artificial intelligence.
Working as part of a team of experienced policy professionals this role requires the ability to: work concurrently across a diverse range of issues; to quickly assess and understand detailed policy implications; anticipate risks and opportunities for the sector; have a natural feel for the concerns, interests and motivations of political stakeholders; and, build and implement effective engagement campaigns that effect change.
· Assist the Head of Policy in the implementation of techUK’s tech policy programme
· Support the delivery of an effective work programme, including but not limited to: successfully leading, managing and delivering internal and external events; the smooth running of meetings; and managing and implementing stakeholder engagement activities; acting as point of contact for techUK members.
· Researching policy issues and drafting papers and consultation responses for government, Parliamentary committees and others.
· Ensuring effective use of web and social media to communicate techUK’s positions and point of view.
· Supporting techUK’s engagement in Whitehall, Westminster and across the devolved administrations and regions.
· Working with colleagues across techUK on policy issues relevant to their programmes
· Working with the Head of Policy to manage and implement an effective contact programme, ensuring in-house CRM is used effectively
Any other duties as required by the Head of Policy and techUK's senior management
· Highly motivated individual with a positive, can do attitude who enjoys taking ownership of new areas
· A team player who is comfortable and able to work with relevant teams (membership, marketing and business services) across techUK
· Strong interest in current affairs and technology and our mission to make the UK good for tech, make tech good for the UK and make tech good for people
· Comfortable working in a high pressure, fast paced environment with competing demands
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and to communicate this effectively to a range of audiences (e.g. writing consultation responses, blogs, newsletters, letters and minute taking)
· Willingness to learn new areas and "get stuck in"
Essential Knowledge and Experience
· Good understanding of UK policy and political landscape, particularly from a business perspective
· Proven experience in public policy, public affairs, media relations and/or stakeholder engagement with a track record of successfully delivering outputs that meet project objectives
· Good grasp of the workings of Whitehall
· Proven track record and experience of managing complex relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
· Proven track record of coordinating events, ensuring accuracy and attention to detail
· Comfortable with and experience of working with senior figures
· Good understanding of the role of trade bodies
· Highly competent with Microsoft and MS Office Suite
Desired Knowledge and Experience
· Experience working in a dynamic and external facing role
This is a full-time role based at techUK’s London offices.
The succesful candidate must have right to work in the UK prior to commencement of employment.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com