techUK represents the companies and technologies that are defining today the world that we will live in tomorrow. 900 companies are members of techUK. Collectively they employ more than 800,000 people, about half of all tech sector jobs in the UK. These companies range from leading FTSE 100 companies to new innovative start-ups. The majority of our members are small and medium sized businesses.
techUK is committed to helping its members grow, by:
· Developing markets;
· Developing relationships and networks;
· Reducing business costs;
· Reducing business risks.
techUK’s Smart Energy and Utility Programme works to;
Ensure smart systems, technologies and solutions are an integral part of the UK’s energy strategy and accelerate the development of the market.Accelerate and help enable the deployment of smart grid solutions on the back of a successful smart meter roll-out and enable these to be incorporated into markets for smart homes; smart cities; and smart transport.
techUK's Internet of Things Programme has a core vision of stimulating the take up of IoT in the UK. It does this by bringing together the key players in IoT in the UK to; drive core issues that affect trust in IoT; ensure the right policy and regulatory regime is in place and develop markets and business opportunities.
SmarterUK is our smart infrastructure programme and its purpose is to connect parts of the UK economy on the cusp of the 'smart' revolution. In doing so, we hope to drive the uptake of solutions that will deliver a sustainable, low carbon transition that provides value to UK Plc and its citizens. SmarterUK’s work covers energy and utilities, smart cities, and transport. The person appointed would be responsible for the energy and utility work stream, liaising closely with another Programme Manager covering the smart cities and transport streams.
techUK’s IoT Programme has three broad work programme areas; to be an active counsel to Government on relevant policy areas, to tackle core trust issues such as security and privacy, and seek to develop markets for IoT covering areas from the connected home to manufacturing and construction.
The person appointed will show capability and potential to build on a strong foundation of solid programmes, strong member engagement, and good external reputation and stakeholder relationships. He/she will need to have, or a propensity to develop quickly, a good understanding of the opportunities and challenges in the energy/utilities and IoT market, and where members can work collectively to understand and enhance those opportunities.
This role requires someone who has the communication skills, confidence and drive to grow their own profile and that of techUK.
· Support the development, implementation and communication of techUK’s Smart Energy and Utility, and IoT programmes in a way that meets the needs of existing and potential members;
· Support the inception, set-up and execution of programme events and meetings;
· Promote the programme though insights, opinions, social media and PR activities;
· Draft reports, papers, articles and meeting notes as requested;
· Support relevant techUK working groups and maintain liaison with group members;
· Assist in maintaining all relevant parts of the techUK website to a high standard;
· Maintain all relevant records on techUK’s CRM system;
· Identify and exploit cross-fertilisation opportunities with other programmes within techUK;
· Liaise with other techUK teams to assist in a successful programme of press coverage, events, internal and external marketing and to ensure they are kept fully informed of major policy initiatives;
· Deputise for Head of Programme in their absence;
· Any other duties that might from time to time be required.
- A self-motivated individual with positive can-do approach who is comfortable working in a high pressure, fast-paced environment with competing demands, and responding to tight deadlines.
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and to communicate this effectively to a range of audiences.
- A team player.
- Ability to identify, propose and negotiate new opportunities and services for techUK;
- Ability to carry out agreed objectives with a minimum of supervision.
- Capability to use the tools and technologies techUK provides, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, CRM, Social Media, Web tools and home working software.
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of the technology industry landscape and the positioning and role of trade bodies.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
· Strong interest in energy policy, innovation and the tech industry.
· Strong interest in elements of the energy and utilities sector, internet of things and a keen desire to learn.
· Experience of managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and comfortable working with senior individuals in Industry and within government.
· Demonstrates a broad understanding of the technology industry landscape and the positioning and role of trade bodies.
Desired Knowledge and Experience
· Knowledge and background in energy, economics or legal regulations.
· Good high-level knowledge of technology and the smart infrastructure sector.
· Comfortable with public speaking.
· Understands the economic, social and political environment, members’ business sectors and business models, stakeholders and their drivers.
This is a full-time role based at techUK’s London offices.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.